Nov 21, 2012, 3:39 PM EST
Is Samantha Gordon the youngest athlete to be featured on a Wheaties box? Well, yes and no. The photo here is genuine all right: that’s nine-year-old Samantha on the front of a real Wheaties box. The Salt Lake City-area girl has been the biggest trending youth sensation since her Pee Wee football highlight video went viral two weeks back.
Or at least she was the top trending youngster, until Jack Taylor scored 138 points in a Div. III college game on Wednesday.
Anyway, Samantha has been on a whirlwind publicity tour over the past week, appearing on NFL Sunday Game Day, visiting a San Francisco 49ers practice and talking with U.S. Women’s soccer national team player Abby Wambach. Then on Sunday she appeared on Good Morning America, where they unveiled her Wheaties box.
General Mills Inc. tells The Associated Press it’s a one-of-a-kind box — Samantha’s image won’t be used on Wheaties boxes sold in stores.
So there’s that: God knows what’s actually in the box. Although I can say from experience that packing peanuts taste surprisingly good with milk.
Anyway, the first thing that Sam will learn about social media fame is that it’s fleeting. Pretty soon the cameras will be gone she’ll once again have to be content destroying the boys on the football field.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found