Nov 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
By now you’ve heard the big news from Iowa: Grinnell College sophomore guard Jack Taylor threw up eleventy-million shots and scored 138 points in a Div. III game on Tuesday. Yep, that’s an NCAA record folks (old mark, Clarence “Bevo” Francis, 113 points, Rio Grande College of Ohio vs. Hillside, 1954).
How is 138 points even possible? Taylor was 27-of-71 on 3-point attempts (yep, 71), and 52-of-108 overall from the field … oh, and 7-of-10 on free throws. Grinnell beat Faith Baptist Bible 179-104, and pity poor David Larson of the losing team: he scored 70 points, but no one’s going to remember that, because a guy on the other team nearly doubled that total.
College Basketball Talk chatted with Taylor after the game.
Some other fun facts on the game:
- Grinnell’s opponent, Faith Baptist Bible College and Theological Seminary, located in Ankeny, Iowa, is an NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) Div. II school with 330 total students.
- Faith Baptist lists the Grinnell game on its schedule as an exhibition game. Grinnell lists it as a regular non-conference game, so officially, Taylor’s record counts.
- Taylor put up one shot every 20 seconds, on average.
- Grinnell, a small liberal arts college in Iowa, has wasted no time publicizing the feat on its athletics site home page. Check out how the splash page looks this morning.
- Taylor threw up plenty of shots (he missed 44 3s), but finished with a flourish — he scored a D-III record 28 consecutive points to close the game, including eight 3-pointers and seven straight without a miss.
- He’s now averaging 61.7 points per game over three games.
- It was the fourth game this season that Faith Baptist has given up 100 points or more.
- Larson, who scored 70 for Faith Baptist, did it on 75 percent shooting from the field. Taylor shot 48 percent.
And yes, Taylor is on Twitter … and he has 609 followers as of this writing. Why so few? He just created his Twitter account last night.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found