Nov 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
A nine-year-old girl is possibly the most celebrated football player at any level right now, so it’s official: girls rule. Samantha Gordon is in the midst of a media blitz: she’s run around and through all the boys in her Salt Lake City youth football league, and then took the Internet by storm when her dad posted her highlight video on YouTube. On Sunday the NFL jumped on the bandwagon, as Sam visited the set of Sunday NFL Gameday to meet Steve Mariucci, Marshall Faulk and Warren Sapp.
Sam, who has scored 25 touchdowns for her Gremlins Division team this season, added one more in a demonstration with Sapp trying to defend (not much of a challenge for the kid, actually). Then they flipped Faulk the ball and Sam showed her tackling technique: how many nine-year-olds can say they tackled Marshall Faulk?
When asked what the boys say when she tackles them, Sam said: “They don’t say anything. They just kind of get up and walk away.”
Brandon Marshall is also a fan:
And so is Desmond Howard.
They call her Sweet Feet in football, but that’s not her favorite nickname. She’s known on the soccer field as Mini Mia, after her idol, Mia Hamm. Yep, Samantha has also been invited to Phoenix on Nov. 30 to watch the U.S. Women’s National Team practice. Sam’s father, Brent, says she’ll play football for two more years and then concentrate on soccer.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found