Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Please welcome the Reading Fightin’ Phils to the Double-A Division of the Eastern League. They used to be the Reading Phillies, but now their logo is an ostrich in a boxing pose and their name has been changed. It may be hard for local fans who’ve been calling them the Reading Phillies since 1967, but they’ll get over it. After all, previous teams there have been called the Reading Actives (1883-1895) and the Reading Coal Haulers (1897-1900).
Why an ostrich? First, because the team has a longtime hot dog vendor who dresses in an ostrich costume (yep). Second, because all the cool teams are named after animals these days.
The Reading Eagle (that’s a newspaper):
“Our main impetus (in the rebrand) was that we felt the Reading Phillies (logo) didn’t speak to kids,” Reading GM Scott] Hunsicker said. “It was a word. We’ve got to speak to the children of our community; we’ve got to engage them, and kids really latch onto animals.
“Look at (minor league) franchises that are resonating: The (Lehigh Valley) IronPigs, the (Richmond) Flying Squirrels, the (Lake Elsinore) Storm, the (Clearwater) Threshers. They all have fun (names and images), something that speaks to children. We didn’t have one.”
Then, this paragraph happened:
The caps will feature the Fightin ostrich, a scripted “F” with a fist, a traditional “R” and even Bunbino, the angry hot-dog figure adopted earlier this year to represent Baseballtown.
But if you think that’s odd, you ain’t seen nothin yet. The Stockton Ports’ new logo honors sailors and asparagus.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement