Two BYU football players kicked off team after late-night Halloween brawl in Mexican restaurant (video)
Nov 16, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
It’s been my experience that when the words “3 a.m.” “Halloween” and “24-hour Mexican restaurant” appear in the same sentence, the result is never good.
Such was the case recently for two BYU football players who were involved in a rather gruesome brawl at a Provo, Utah Mexican restaurant, which was caught on surveillance video. Salt Lake City Tribune:
After reviewing surveillance tape of the incident and conducting up to a dozen interviews, the Provo City Attorney’s Office and Provo Police Dept. announced Thursday that charges will be filed against 23-year-old Joe Sampson and 21-year-old Zachary Stout. The players were kicked off the BYU football team by coach Bronco Mendenhall and subsequently withdrew from school last week.
Sampson was a starting safety on the team. Two other people were also charged in the fracas, among them a former BYU player. And somewhere in the melee, a woman got punched in the face.
“I said no sour cream!”
“This group of people were making rude comments [to the victims/witnesses], who just ignored the group and sat down. They said that [the three girls] and Stout, [Alexander Powell] Jackman, [Matthew] Santos and Sampson then started to walk out of the restaurant, but Stout stopped at their table and was saying rude comments to some of the girls in their group. They tried to get Stout to leave …. After a few minutes [Victim No. 1] stood up from the table that he was at … and Stout swung and hit [Victim No. 1] two times.”
The police report says it was Jackman who hit a woman “in the left side of her face.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights