Boston College women’s soccer player tweets Sandusky rape jokes prior to Penn State game, apologizes, is suspended
Nov 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Boston College will be without its second-leading scorer, Stephanie McCaffrey, when it takes on Penn State tonight in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Soccer Tournament — and that’s because Ms. McCaffrey got a little frisky with her Twitter account on Thursday night.
BC’s impending trip to Penn State somehow brought out the worst in McCaffrey, who took to Twitter for a series of Penn State/Jerry Sandusky zingers (seen below). Sensing disaster, it didn’t take long for her to delete the tweets, and then her entire Twitter account, but the damage had been done. Onward State, a student-run blog covering Penn State and surrounding environs, spotted the offending jokes and got screencaps of them all.
Note to Stephanie: jokes about child rape are not as hilarious as you think they are. Also, nice timing: your routine is about six months late.
Late Thursday, McCaffrey issued an apology, which included emails to several Penn State students. It wasn’t enough — Thursday night she was suspended by Boston College administration, and will miss the Penn State game.
Wait, isn’t Boston College a Catholic school? Hmm.
Statement from Boston College athletic director Brad Bates:
“The student-athlete used very poor judgment and exhibited insensitivity towards Penn State, for which she apologizes,” Bates said in the statement. “This type of behavior is not tolerated among our student-athletes.”
Sean Sylvia, a defensive back on the BC football team, got caught up in the controversy when he retweeted one of McCaffrey’s tweets.
Sylvia has also subsequently deleted his Twitter account.
Fun facts about McCaffrey: according to her team bio, she has a younger brother. … And according to Onward State, McCaffrey’s Twitter bio included the motto “Just off the binky, time to get kinky.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy