Nov 14, 2012, 1:12 PM EST
For some gun enthusiasts, target shooting is just not enough … they’d rather turn their guns on each other. Or as they call it in Louisiana, Thanksgiving.
But in Orlando, Fla., it’s called Combat City. That’s a gun range that allows patrons to stalk and shoot each other, paintball style, only with real guns. No real ammo, of course — they modify the weapons so that they only shoot soft rubber bullets. I say “only”, but those suckers hurt, I’m told. They do after all use rubber bullets to suppress riots, don’t they?
People bring their own guns, including semi-automatics, and the barrels are modified so that live rounds cannot be fired. Even though rubber bullets are used, the gun retains the same recoil. Sounds like fun, but I’ll stay in the hot tub where it’s more sane.
Participants then suit up, protecting their head, neck and private parts.
But make no mistake, anyone who gets shot, feels the pain, which was described as more severe than being shot with a paintball.
“There is supposed to be a degree of pain so that you do learn from it,” said [Combat City owner] Kaplan, “Someone’s trying to hurt you. You learn how to be as tactical as a civilian can be.”
And that’s why a growing number of women come to Combat City.
Tiffany Chapin is a single mom who believes the real-life scenarios she creates at Combat City are the best way for women to learn how to defend themselves.
“Most of the time, they feel a little bit uneasy, nervous. I think it helps to have a female instructor,” said Kaplan
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found