ESPN trio cram dozens of Princess Bride references into an hour of NFL highlights, and it is glorious (video)
Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
I’ve lived my life by two main rules: never get involved in a land war in Asia, and always expect the unexpected on ESPN’s NFL Kickoff. On Sunday ESPN anchors Trey Wingo, Mark Schlereth and Tedy Bruschi pulled a fast one on viewers by surreptitiously peppering an hour of NFL commentary and highlights with references from The Princess Bride, which I’m sure was lost on some, but tremendously enjoyed by others.
“Still waiting for you to storm the castle” … “Eagles fans know at this point that life is pain, and anyone who tells you different is selling you something” … “AJ Green needs to step up. It’s not his fault he’s the biggest and the strongest, he doesn’t even exercise” … and it just kept getting better. Although, it’s inconceivable that this wasn’t included:
Trey Wingo: “Pittsburgh is going to win this game, and I mean it.”
Mark Schlereth: “Anybody want a peanut?”
Next movie on NFL Kickoff? I vote for Anchorman.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found