Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Hey, paramedics aren’t supposed to smile as they’re wheeling someone out on a stretcher, are they? Former University of Central Florida cheerleader Jamie Woode, 31, a member of the Orlando Magic Dance Team, hit the deck, hard, during a routine on Tuesday night, where she reportedly hit her head on the floor. The Magic released a statement today in which her family said she’s expected to make a full recovery. So that’s good.
Woode lost her footing and fell to the floor during a routine between the first and second quarter of the Magic’s 99-89 loss to the New York Knicks on Tuesday night.
In a statement released by the Magic on Wednesday, the family says she suffered three vertebrae fractures and a broken rib. But there were no signs of neurological damage.
Another stark reminder that cheerleading is more dangerous than you think. In fact, a 2008 study by the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at the University of North Carolina found that cheerleaders accounted for 65 percent of all catastrophic injuries in girls’ high school athletics. Surprising, since they make up only 12 percent of total participants.
The last scary cheerleader fall like this that I can recall occurred at Michigan State in Nov. of 2011.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming