Nov 13, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Finally a story that can make Lance Armstrong feel good about himself. Lance may have had his problems lately, but they can’t compare to those of middle-distance runner Pinki Pramanik. The Indian women’s 400 meter specialist won the gold medal at the 2006 Asian Games, but a recent DNA test has determined that she is in fact a he. Yep, Pinki is a male, police announced on Monday. And that medical report has led them to charge Pramanik with rape, impersonation and cheating.
Pramanik was tested in June after her former partner accused her of rape, but results were inconclusive. After this recent test, she was formally charged.
Charges of rape were brought against her in the charge sheet submitted before a court in Barasat in the State’s North 24 Parganas district.
“There is a circus going on and I am being treated as a joker,” Pramanik said, adding that she felt that she was being treated as an “object of curiosity” because of the repeated references to her gender. “I find it difficult to come out of my home and walk on the roads,” she said.
Ever since her arrest on June 14, 2012 after the woman she shared her home with accused her of rape, she has been harassed by the police, and now the remarks on her gender come as a “mental torture”, Pinki said. “All they [police] want is to finish me.” Pinki added that she was “ being cornered in such a manner that I am pushed into losing my self-esteem and [contemplating] taking my life.
“I also hear reports that the police is saying that all my medals will be taken away. Who are they to say so? The police has not awarded me those medals,” she said.
Fun fact: after her initial arrest, Pinki was held briefly at the Dum Dum Central Correctional Home in Barasat.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming