Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Flea — real name Michael Peter Balzary — is of course the bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but he’s more notable to me because of his acting, in the awesome flicks Motorama and The Big Lebowski. Did you know he’s also a big UCLA hoops fan?
Flea performed the National Anthem prior to the Bruins’ game with Indiana State at the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion on Friday, and that’s where he unveiled this shirt, which reads “Free Shabazz Muhammad”. That’s the top recruit for UCLA who was ruled ineligible for an undetermined number of games by the NCAA for recruiting violations.
Muhammad was declared ineligible for an undisclosed number of games after the NCAA determined he “accepted travel and lodging during three unofficial visits” to two schools during his recruitment.
There were more shirts in the student section.
Flea is Australian but grew up in Los Angeles. He’s a passionate fan of the Lakers and of Sheffield United.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'