North Carolina high school quarterback Will Grier throws for ten touchdowns in playoff game, breaks high school record
Nov 11, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
Considering the rise of spread offenses in high school football, it doesn’t surprise me to see a high school football quarterback setting a record with ten touchdown passes in a single game.
What does surprise me is that Davidson Day (N.C.) High School junior quarterback Will Grier’s accomplishment is that he did it in a playoff game against Harrells Christian High School. The final score of the offensive-filled game was 104-80 which broke a North Carolina state high school record for total points scored in a playoff game set back in the 1940′s.
Grier passed for 837 passing yards (also a high school record) and as you can understand, he was a little shocked by the response after news of his accomplishment reached the world:
“It was craziest thing I’ve ever been a part of. It was ridiculous…My Twitter account just blew up,” Grier said.
“My goal is always to win; I’m not a stat guy,” Grier said. “I could really care less about records, just as long as we win. Looking back on it though it was like `Oh my goodness.’
Our offense was quick and we just had one of those nights where we were on. Our offensive line played their best game and the receivers kept making plays. You have to give credit to them.”
Grier is currently being recruited by many top college football programs including Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and Oregon.
Image courtesy of 24/7 Sports Studios
North Carolina QB sets prep marks in 104-80 win [NBC Sports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?