Nov 9, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Reggie Jackson would like to go back to the good old days … way back, like 1800. That’s when the second-place finisher in a U.S. Presidential election got to be vice president, regardless of whether he was in a different party. Mr. October may not be aware that we once did it that way, and got rid of the practice for a reason.
“Just because President Obama is back in power is not as important as all of us pulling together,” Jackson told USA TODAY Sports. “The best would be for Obama to be president and Romney to be vice-president. We need everyone to come together.”
Jackson will be in Las Vegas this weekend to play host at the 8th All-Star Celebrity golf classic, which benefits underprivileged minority students in conjunction with his Mr. October Foundation. Right now he’s in Indian Wells, Calif. (near Palm Springs), presumably practicing, and that’s where he talked with USA Today.
“I get so disappointed when I hear all of the negativity from Republicans against the Democrats and Democrats against Republicans. We need to come together as a nation. Black. White. Hispanics. Jewish. Native Americans.
Jackson, for the record, is an enthusiastic Obama supporter. Just not one of Joe Biden, so it seems.
This photo is awesome, by the way. It’s of Jackson from Getty Images, and I call it “The Day After the Apocalypse.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found