Nov 9, 2012, 5:26 PM EST
Huntingdon College is a Methodist school in Montgomerie, Ala., which makes it kind of surprising that it would have golf’s equivalent of Bobby Knight coaching there. Matt Mahanic, who coached the men’s golf team and was also director of men’s and women’s golf, just got fired, as a matter of fact. His offense was a rather unhinged, profanity-filled rant toward his team following its 11th-place finish at the Gordin Collegiate Classic last month.
Mahanic had been coaching at Huntingdon, a Div. III school, since 2007 — and was director of golf there since 2010. GolfTalk Central:
On Friday, the website Deadspin posted the six-minute rant, in which Mahanic berated the team after Huntingdon finished 11th out of 12 teams at last month’s Gordin Classic. Someone on the team bus recorded the tirade – Mahanic dropped more than 50 f-bombs – and Deadspin eventually received a copy of the recording.
Those 50 f-bombs beat Knight’s record by about nine. He may come out of retirement to get it back.
In a statement, school president J. Cameron West said: “As a member of Division III of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, we adhere to the principles expressed in the NCAA Bylaws.
“To quote the Bylaws, ‘Individuals employed by or associated with a member institution to administer, conduct, or coach intercollegiate athletics shall act with … sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, their institutions and they, as individuals, represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports.’”
Yes, in more way than one.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found