Nov 7, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
Off to goalie prison? Probably not, but the Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s office has filed misdemeanor charges against Peter Fergus McGlynn, the (former) UC Santa Barbara men’s soccer player who shoved a referee from behind during a recent match with UC Davis (these are cities in Calif., in case you didn’t know).
Not only that, but McGlynn was first ejected, then arrested on the sideline and led off the field in handcuffs. Wow.
McGlynn, who was a fifth-year senior defender on the team, apologized for his actions on his Twitter page.
“I would just like to take this opportunity to express how deeply I regret the incident I was involved in on Sunday. My actions were completely my own and now I will accept the full consequences of the matter. Not only did I let myself and my family down, but also my team, the coaching staff, the athletic department, UCSB, the alumni, and everybody from the Santa Barbara community, and I would want to say to all involved of how very sorry I am. I am very sad to leave a program of the highest integrity behind with a tarnished reputation because of my selfish and immature actions. I am completely embarrassed to end such a fantastic chapter in my life in such shame. I would like to wish the best to the program in continued success and dominance, as the amazing support from the students and the community truly deserve. I want to also express my gratitude to everybody for their kind messages of love and support, and will never forget how you all helped me through this ordeal. Go Gauchos.”
Hey, keep it to 140 characters McGlynn!
And as a fellow Irishman may I just say how deeply
proud horrified I am by this incident.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found