Nov 7, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Linda McMahon, who back in the day ran World Wrestling Entertainment with her husband Vince McMahon, lost her Connecticut U.S. Senate race to Democrat Chris Murphy on Tuesday night — and it was a rather expensive defeat. McMahon spent roughly $43 million of her own money on the Senate bid, that on top of the $50 million she spent in a failed Senate run in 2010. I hate it when I lose $93 million like that — it gives me a headache all day.
Murphy didn’t have McMahon’s cash, but he did have a couple of advantages. He was operating in a solid blue state, and he had McMahon’s pro wrestling background as campaign fodder. The WWE made a mighty effort to scrub its image in the runup to the election, but there’s this thing called YouTube, where videos like the one below are freely available. This didn’t help McMahon’s chances, or her campaign, especially with women voters:
Murphy, a three-term congressman, made an issue of the 64-year-old McMahon’s wrestling roots, dismissing the enterprise as a vulgar and violent spectacle that belittled women.
“I think that not every CEO is qualified to be a United States senator,” he said.
WWE tried to clean up its image during the Senate campaign in an attempt to make itself more presentable as family fare. Still, Democrats found ways to remind the electorate of an online scene featuring a wrestler simulating sex with a corpse in a casket.
Also losing on Tuesday were George Allen (son of the former NFL coach George Allen), Connie Mack IV (Senate, Fla.) and Ben Chandler (House, Kentucky, grandson of former MLB commissioner Happy Chandler).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found