Obama spends election day in traditional pickup hoops game (and teams with Scottie Pippen for victory)
Nov 6, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen can now say that he’s been teammates with the leader of the free world. That would be Michael Jordan, of course … and he’s also played with President Obama. It’s become traditional for Obama to play a pickup game before an election … he started it with the Iowa Caucuses in 2008. He missed the game before the New Hampshire Primary that year, which he lost, so he’s made a point of playing prior to every election since.
And today he was taking no chances, picking Scottie Pippen as part of his three-man team, played at the former Attack Athletics on the West Side a little after 1 p.m. on today. Chicago Sun-Times:
No surprise: Obama, who acted as his team’s coach, also chose his longtime basketball pal and former State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias as a teammate. He tweeted that their team won, vanquishing former Bulls guard Randy Brown, Reggie “Body Man” Love, and former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. Presidential best friend Marty Nesbitt was reportedly in attendance as well.
The score? Giannoulias said Obama’s team won, “like 102, 105, 108 or so to 80-something.”
No word on how Romney spent his day.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?