Nov 5, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
If you’re going with a medieval knight character as your NBA team mascot, I would much prefer the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
BLACK KNIGHT (having been rendered limbless): “Come back and fight, you coward!”
That guy had spunk.
Also preferable: The Knights Who Say “Nee!”; Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz; Robocop; Iron Man; Jamie Lannister.
But when you contract Marvel Comics to design your mascot, you get this: The BrooklyKnight (that’s how they spell it … to match up with ‘Brooklynite’). According to the Marvel comic book which was released in conjunction with the Nets’ home opener, BrooklyKnight rose from the bowels of the Earth, popping up directly into the Barclays Center, like Bugs Bunny emerging from his rabbit hole. “Uh, what’s up, Mikhail Prokhorov?”
In real life, however, BrooklyKnight was lowered from the rafters on a cable, amidst booming theme music and assorted fireworks. Make no mistake — even as a comic book superhero this creation is a mess. BrooklyKnight is a mashup of disparate themes and costume elements, possibly worse even than another notorious Marvel creation that you may recall from your night terrors: NFL SuperPro.
I’ll say this for BrooklyKnight, though: the Nets are 1-0 under his watchful reign.
Here’s the BrooklyKnight comic book if you’d like to check it out — it’s actually well-rendered, but the plot makes absolutely no sense, even by comic book standards. And then there’s this added bonus: there’s a porn star out there named Brooklyn Night. So that should make those Google searches fun.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found