Nov 5, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
No, this isn’t the monkey in question — it’s actually a red-ruffed lemur, and this photo was taken last Thanksgiving as the SF Zoo (please pass the mealworms). The animal’s color scheme, however, is correct. Here’s the monkey we’re referring to, a baby Francois’ langur monkey which was born at the San Francisco Zoo during the NLDS. The monkey’s name is Romo, after the Giants’ reliever who got the save in the World Series-clinching win over the Tigers last week.
Not seen: tiny monkey broom.
Name ideas had been flooding in during the Giants’ postseason, with many zoo patrons and Giants fans submitting suggestions through the zoo’s Facebook and Twitter pages, including “Posey,” after catcher Buster Posey, and “Scutaro” or “Scooter,” in honor of second baseman Marco Scutaro, Tuller said.
The langur exhibit grew popular in the weeks leading up to the World Series win after the zoo posted a sign with the Giants logo there.
The zoo is now hoping the real Romo will visit the zoo for a naming ceremony for the little monkey in the coming weeks.
No doubt his appearance will include a zebra photobomb.
I’m also betting this lemur has better table manners than Pablo Sandoval.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner