Because regular hockey apparently isn’t hard enough, the Germans bring you hockey on a unicycle (video)
Nov 1, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
A unicycle has many uses: impressing ladies on the boardwalk, demonstrating man’s superiority over dolphin, ensuring a lucrative circus career… but as a means to play hockey? Thanks to some enterprising (or perhaps just bored) young Germans, the answer is a resounding yes.
In the video clip below, you can witness what is being billed as the German unicycle hockey championship, which looks pretty much exactly how it sounds– Germans, playing hockey on unicycles, competitively. Also, for some reason the referee is in one of those full body spandex suits popularized by It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I guess because Germans also think stupid things are cool.
I take it there’s no cross-checking? That’s a long way to fall, and I would venture that one of the few things more embarrassing than being on a unicycle is having to climb back up on one after getting plastered by another dude on a unicycle.
Jokes aside, there are some pretty incredible displays of skill and agility going on here, and it’s a steadfast rule of sport that everything looks cooler when set to pulsating, overly dramatic chamber music.
Good on you, Germany, and please, keep the goofy sports coming. Pogo-stick tennis, anyone?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'