What’s thirty feet tall, extremely flammable, and has zero Tour de France titles? This Lance Armstrong effigy (picture)
Oct 31, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
When it comes to demonstrating displeasure with specific public figures or events, few societies are as adept (or dramatic) as the British, well-known for their soccer riots and also for their fondness of effigies– which, for the unaware, are dolls and other visual representations of reviled figures made for the sole purpose of being lit aflame in a fiery public spectacle of shame.
And who deserves our shame more than Lance Armstrong, confirmed steroid user and disgraced cycling champ? Kim Kardashian? Well, yes, probably. But no, according to the town of Edenbridge (in the Southeastern English county of Kent), the answer is no-one, which is why the town has erected a 30-foot effigy of Armstrong to be burnt during their annual Bonfire Night celebrations. Read below for more details and a picture of the work-of-art itself, sure to be deemed a modern classic:
British artist Frank Shepherd of the Edenbridge Bonfire Society puts the finishing touches to a giant effigy of US cyclist Lane Armstrong in Edenbridge, Kent, southeast England, on October 31, 2012, which will be burnt over the weekend as a Guy during Bonfire Night. Stripped of his cycling medals over a doping scandal, disgraced US icon Lance Armstrong will suffer a fresh humiliation this weekend at the hands of an English town which will burn him in effigy. The 30-foot (nine-metre) steel-framed figure, dressed in a Tour De France leader’s yellow jersey, will be torched on Saturday during the annual Guy Fawkes or Bonfire Night celebrations in Edenbridge.
Not pictured: three-foot hypodermic needle. I don’t know… it’s a pretty good depiction of Lance in terms of aesthetics, but where’s the smug sense of self-satisfaction? Also, who’s Jim? Where’s his effigy? Too many questions, not enough time to light all the answers on fire, I suppose.
No word on whether or not the town is also creating a twentyfive-foot tall depiction of a smiling Sheryl Crow, but they really should.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights