Oct 31, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
It takes quite the iron will to resist the urge to riot if everybody around you is rioting too. I mean, why do THEY get to see how it feels to smash a traffic light?
One of my favorite memories from the Phillies’ riot in ’08 was when I saw a bunch of dudes knock over a news van for no reason. When people are happy (and/or drunk), sometimes they just love destroying stuff. I bet 10% of those people had no clue they were rioting for a baseball game, they just saw saw the hoard and joined it. It’s contagious.
But footage has been captured of a model citizen who, even as a crowd of drunk people jumped up and down on top of the bus he was riding, was a portrait of peace and relaxation, casually texting on his phone as the world burned all around him.
And so he became The Dude Who Wouldn’t Riot. I’m just going to go right ahead and put him in the Dalai Lama/Ghandi level of respect because if I was in that same position I’d be running around like my hair was on fire, trying to stomp on something.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault