Oct 30, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
If you ever wanted to own a World Series ring earned by the “Yankee Clipper”, there is an auction for that.
A 1951 World Series ring earned by DiMaggio in the last “Subway Series” between the Giants/Yankees could fetch between $50,000-$100,000 when the online auction for it ends on November 7th.
As you might figure from the title of this article, there seems to be some doubt if the ring was actually ever owned by DiMaggio or if it possibly stolen from him back in the 1960′s:
Sports-memorabilia auctioneer David Hunt says the ring has been held for decades by the family of an executive of the Dieges & Clust jewelry company.
According to one story, DiMaggio — who had several other Yankee World Series rings — passed on the first design of this particular ring. “Joe told the salesman, ‘I want something else,’ ” said Hunt.
Then there’s the possibility the ring was stolen. Morris Engelberg, DiMaggio’s lawyer and friend, suspects the 1951 ring is one of several heisted from DiMaggio’s room at the Lexington Hotel in the early 1960s.
Despite issues with the ring, the sale continues on and the current bid is over $5,o00.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Who is the best free agent left on the market?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?