Oct 26, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Alas, the Redskins didn’t play along and all he got in the contract he signed over the weekend was money that he can now turn into a case of beer if he so chooses.
The 30-year-old Cooley, who signed with Washington earlier this week after tight end Fred Davis suffered a season-ending Achilles injury against the Giants, tried to get the Redskins front office to include a case of beer in his contract before agreeing to the deal.
“Literally, I have text correspondence trying to negotiate a case of beer into my contract,” Cooley told the Sports Junkies on 106.7 FM. “They wouldn’t do it. I wanted it in writing so much.”
Cooley’s come a long way since the days when he was a Pro Bowl caliber tight end, mocking divisional rival Jason Witten in his hilarious “J-Wit Dog” fantasy file parody. Injuries have piled on and he even put his Washington DC area house up for sale after the Redskins cut him earlier this year because he was still recovering from the knee injury that limited him to five games last year. While he was out, Fred Davis stepped up and took his job and Cooley became dust in the wind. But now Davis is out for the year and Cooley is back, baby.
And if you were wondering how arduous passing an NFL ‘physical’ is, let Cooley describe it for you.
The contract, which did not include a case of beer, was contingent on Cooley passing a physical. The tight end laughed off the notion that he would not pass the team’s physical due to being out of shape or the after-effects of a knee injury that limited him to five games in 2011.
“I’ve had so many people text, ‘How’d the physical go?’” Cooley said. “Literally, you go into the training room, and the doctor’s like ‘How are you feeling, man? Good? Good. Okay, you passed.’
How do people fail that?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final