Oct 25, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT
The Detroit Tigers are taking on water and limping back to port after another electric display by the Giants on Thursday night. A 2-0 World Series lead for San Francisco? This wasn’t supposed to happen (they said on the East Coast). Jim Leyland: “Arrrr!” (Swats at parrot on shoulder). (Parrot is smoking a tiny cigarette).
The Giants have all the momentum as the Series heads to Motown for Games 3-5, but unfortunately for the fan pictured here (call him Ishmael), Detroit does not border an ocean. Poseidon, the god of McCovey Cove, has no power in Lake Michigan — and this thing could swing the Tigers’ way very fast.
But man, if you’re a Giants fan, you have to love what’s been going on so far. First Angel Pagan bounces a double off the third-base bag on Wednesday to begin a rally, and then tonight, this:
That was Gregor Blanco’s bunt that settled down and took a seat in fair territory to load he bases in the seventh inning, when the Giants took a 1-0 lead. Some may not appreciate a glacially-paced play like this, but being a big fan of curling, I was going nuts. The only thing that would have made it better is if Brian Wilson preceded the ball down the line by sweeping a broom.
On a more serious note: it was reported by several sources that Brian Stow attended the game. Stow, who was beaten at a Giants-Dodgers game in Los Angeles on opening day last season and was in a coma for several weeks, was seen outside AT&T Park on Thursday, entering the game in a wheelchair. That was really good to hear.
Meanwhile, at sea:
I’m off for a week beginning on Friday, so I’m going to have to leave it to you to take this thing on home here on the Internets. Ben Chew, Josiah Schlatter and Rob Sylvester will combine to keep the deck spic-and-span while I’m gone. Please obey their commands.
See you back at AT&T for Game 6* on Halloween. That should be fun.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona