Oct 23, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
On Monday we told you about the goalie in an English soccer match who was slapped in the face by a fan during a match, but my God, that pales in comparison to this. Pub league football linesman Isaac Mbofana, 34, was bludgeoned to death by a fan after ruling a goal offside during a friendly match in Zimbabwe last week. Mbofana died on the spot after a fan “allegedly battered him around the head with a log” during the game.
Mr Mbofana had been running the line as an assistant referee when he ruled a goal was disallowed during the social match on a primary school playing field, according to Zimbabwe’s Chronicle newspaper.
The alleged attacker, Onismo Sichani, 31, feld the scene following the attack, and is being sought by police. He was allegedly part of a group of fans who became angry with the offsides call and rushed the field. Sichani, said the report, allegedly picked up part of a tree trunk and attacked the linesman. It happened on Thursday in the central village of Takawira.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found