Oct 22, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
Big kerfuffle at Louisiana State, and it involves Photoshop, as most controversies do. It seems that LSU sent out its weekly Geaux-Mail newsletter on Oct. 13 with a photo of the Painted Posse front and center — that’s the small student group who paint their bodies in LSU colors to attend football games.
Part of the paint job is religious crosses on their shoulders, but those were airbrushed out in the photo sent in the email. The newsletter went out following the Tigers’ 23-21 win over then-No. 3 ranked South Carolina.
Some devout Christian LSU fans are not pleased with this. And as one might imagine, Fox News is all over the story.
“I was a bit surprised, because our pictures get used so frequently, and the cross had never been edited before,” Posse member Cameron Cooke told CampusReform.org. “The cross painting is important to me because it represents who I am as a Christ follower.
“And it reminds me who I need to act like in Death Valley,” Cooke added, referring to Tiger Stadium’s nickname.
In a statement to NBC33, LSU said:
“We don’t want to imply we are making any religious or political statements, so we air-brushed it out. Only one of the students, who didn’t appreciate it (airbrushing the photo) actually contacted us about it. So next time, we’ll just chose a different photo.”
Yep, sometimes the effort to be politically correct can go too far — if the university had an issue with the crosses, they should have just skipped the photo. Seems like a pretty easy call to me. Why go to all the trouble of Photoshopping a photo when you could have just used something else … like the photo above? Think, McFly!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful