Oct 22, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
You may remember Piedmont High School, near Oakland, Calif., for bringing the controversial A-11 offense to football. But they didn’t know controversy until this happened: several Piedmont athletes have been caught running a sex “fantasy league”, in which males engaged in sexual activities with females and drafted and rated them in a fantasy league format.
According to a letter sent to parents on Friday by Piedmont principal Rich Kitchens, male students “drafted” unknowing female students to their teams, then tallied points for “documented engagement in sexual activities” with those girls. How this was documented I’m not sure, but school officials became aware of the league when other students came forward following a date-rape prevention assembly in early October, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
“We’ll react to things as they come to us,” Booker said. He noted that “the point of that assembly is to get kids talking, to be aware, to foster that communication.
“We’re not making excuses, we’re not minimizing it, we’re not sanitizing it. We’re an educational community. Our point is to take issues like this and treat them as educational opportunities, and if there are criminal issues, we report them to the police.”
Though Kitchens said in his letter that the league was set up by male students on varsity athletic teams, Booker said that with 75 percent of the school’s students participating in athletics, it was hard to link the league to a particular team or sport.
Piedmont police say that apparently now laws have been broken, and no reports of sexual assault have been made.
“There is something going on at the kid level and adults found out about it,” Interim police Chief Scott Wyatt said. “At the first inkling you need to take a nip-in-the-bud approach.”
Oh yes, Piedmont High is also home to the annual Bird Calling Contest, whose winner appears on The Late Show With David Letterman. No word if any of the bird callers are involved in this.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte