Oct 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
No, it’s not Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Greece … the pink jerseys these amateur soccer players are wearing are for another reason entirely. Voukefalas, a club in Larissa, central Greece, has found a new way to pay the bills: it is being sponsored this season by Villa Erotica and Soula’s House of History. Yes, they are both bordellos. The beautiful game and the world’s oldest profession, together at last.
With the Greek economy failing in major fashion, one of the hardest-hit sports is amateur soccer: teams are folding all over the country. So, desperate times call for desperate measures. Other teams have also sought out unusual sponsors.
One team took on a deal with a local funeral home and others have wooed kebab shops, a jam factory, and producers of Greece’s trademark feta cheese. But the small amateur Voukefalas club which includes students, a bartender, waiters and pizza delivery drivers is getting the most attention for its flamboyant sponsors.
League officials won’t actually let the team wear the pink jerseys during games, according to this report — but the photo here, taken before a recent playoff game, sure makes it look like they’re getting ready to take the field in them.
This is controversial in Greece. Won’t someone think of the children, plead some? But this is a growing trend, I’m predicting. You recall of course the Landshut Cannibals, a German hockey team in the 2nd Bundesliga league. They are also sponsored by a brothel, and have the jerseys to prove it.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found