Today in high school girls soccer: girl knees opponent in the head on purpose (Matt Holliday approves)
Oct 16, 2012, 2:24 PM EST
A KSL reporter asks the question during this video report, “What ever happened to having fun while playing sports?” hey, for some people this is fun. It happened in Salt Lake City, where East High girls soccer player Petiola Manuta has apologized to everyone she can find after kneeing Woods Cross player Makenzie Clark in the head. Was it intentional? As Richard Dreyfus said in Jaws: “This was no boating accident!”
Manuta said she was frustrated because Clark had been guarding her so closely.
Manu apologized Monday afternoon, telling reporters “I let my emotions get the best of me and I took it too far. And I just want to apologize to her and everyone. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”
“It was a physical game and I let my emotions get the best of me. It was nothing personal. I was just really frustrated with the game. I wasn’t thinking. I was just running on adrenaline, and the game was tied at the time.”
No red card on the play, by the way. But the East High administration and the Utah High School Athletic Association are both investigating the incident. Also, out of habit, Roger Goodell suspended Jonathan Vilma.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found