Oct 16, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
The latest on the Matt Holliday Slide Imbroglio, from Giants’ Game 3 starter Matt Cain (via CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggerly): Cain said he won’t be timid about throwing inside to Holliday, but only as part of plan to get him out. “If one gets away, one gets away.” Ha.
By now you’ve surely seen Holliday’s chop block on Marco Scutaro on Monday. It was the worst kind of cheap shot: meant not only to prevent a throw, but to rearrange certain small bones. Of course Holliday apologists will tell you one of three things:
1. He was just playing hard, competing in the tradition of Ty Cobb.
Answer: Ty Cobb was a racist psychopath who once attacked a guy in a wheelchair. This is your defense?
2. Holliday’s hat is way too small for his head. It cuts off his circulation.
Answer: That was kind of a cheap shot in and of itself. Uncalled for.
3. Holliday is really a good guy, and this was just an isolated incident.
Answer: Oh, really? Starlin Castro begs to differ.
That play occurred in July of 2011. And here’s the Scutaro steamrolling again:
Almost as wrong as the slide itself is the mewling jury nullification of the clueless Cardinals radio broadcasters. Aftermath: Scutaro has a hip strain and his status for Game 3 in “unclear.” Holliday’s status is a bit more defined.
Speaking of definitions, here’s the official rule:
6.05(m): A batter is out when “a … runner shall, in the umpire’s judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw the ball in an attempt to complete any play.”
Comment on rule 6.05(m): “The objective of this rule is to penalize an offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base. Obviously, this is an umpire’s judgment play.”
Fun fact: The Giants open their 2013 home schedule against the Cardinals April 5-7.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found