Speaking of MLB retaliation, here’s a pretty good story involving Rod Carew, Jim Bibby and Duane Kuiper
Oct 16, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
If you’re not familiar with the names Rod Carew (pictured) or Jim Bibby, well, the heck with you, you probably shouldn’t be reading this post anyway. The name Duane Kuiper may be a bit more obscure: he’s the former Giants and Indians second baseman who’s now a Giants broadcaster.
Speaking of the Giants, they’re involved in a bit of a kerfuffle with the Cardinals over a very rambunctious slide into second base by St. Louis outfielder Matt Holliday (see previous post). On the subject of hard slides and retaliation, I was leafing through McCovey Chronicles today when I saw this: an Aug., 2012 post by Joe Posnanski which had a very entertaining story about Kuiper, Carew and Bibby, as told by Kuiper. Enjoy. Posnanski writes:
Details are hard to lock down but the story is too good to hold back: The Indians were playing the Twins, and at some point Rod Carew slashed Kuiper in a double play scenario at some point during the series. Duane was furious. He told Carew, “I’m going to come down the line and slash your achilles.” Jim Bibby calmed him down.
“Don’t worry,” Bibby said. “I’ll get him for you.”
Kuiper said, “OK, fine, you get him.” Only, Bibby did not get him. He got pulled before he had a chance to get him. If it’s the game I’m thinking, in 1977, Bibby lasted just five innings and Carew actually homered off him. Anyway, the point is Bibby didn’t get Carew that day for whatever reason, and unexpectedly that was the last time he ever faced Carew in a big league game. Bibby left Cleveland for Pittsburgh at the end of the season. So the story should be over. Kuiper basically forgot about it.
Only … one day, the Indians are facing Carew’s team, probably the Angels by then, and Carew comes over to Kuiper and says, “You little $&#$@$ …”
“What did I do?” Kuiper said.
And Carew said that he was playing an exhibition game in Japan. He stepped in against, yep, Jim Bibby. And suddenly he felt the jolt of a fastball pounding his side … this in an EXHIBITION GAME IN JAPAN.
And he said Jim Bibby flexed and said: “That was for Duane Kuiper.”
No, Matt Holliday, your comeuppance probably won’t arrive on Wednesday, or maybe even in this NLCS. But rest assured it will arrive one day. Perhaps in a foreign land, when you least expect it.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial
- Play Video: Traditions of the Preakness Stakes
- Play Video: Chudzinski: 'Too early' to name a QB
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: Castroneves regains first in qualifying