Oct 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
During Monday night’s Game 2 of the NLCS, cameras settled on the Giants’ Brian Wilson in the dugout. Fox’s Tim McCarver noted that any ball hit into Wilson’s beard would instantly be ruled a ground-rule double.
A genuinely creative line by Tim McCarver? If anyone doubted Wilson’s power to motivate, that should prove them wrong right there. The New York Times:
“I don’t consider myself a cheerleader,” said Wilson, who showed up at AT&T Park on Saturday wearing Giants colors on his 6-foot-1 frame and on his fingernails, which were painted pumpkin orange and had a black stripe running from each cuticle to the tip. “You can say I’m a proverbial cheerleader, but once my role was changed, I knew that I had to transition to something better. I had to take my new role and run with it.”
Almost exactly six months after throwing his last pitch before Tommy John surgery, Wilson begins light tossing on his road back to becoming, possibly, the Giants closer once again. Until that day he’ll continue as the Giants designated cheerleader — a role for which he’s almost perfectly suited.
Wilson is an acquired taste, to be sure: for each person amused by his antics, there are probably three who are not. But he doesn’t really care what anyone thinks outside of his own clubhouse. Wilson marches to his own tune, as demonstrated Monday night when Fox cameras captured him miming organ music on a teammate’s head.
“The action of throwing a baseball is no more or no less important than the action of being a teammate,” said Wilson, who was just warming up. “Just because I’m not closing the ninth doesn’t mean I don’t have an intricate part in team chemistry. I’ve got positive energy, and, you know, maybe I can be of some help with some of the guys. If that one sentence that I say is encouraging and it helps that person perform better, then I think I’ve done my job.”
In the Giants’ decisive division-series victory against Cincinnati, Wilson broke the tension in the dugout by shouting at a Reds ball boy, “You’re going down!”
And this GIF wins the internet for today, I think (by @Natto):
Ha. Wilson dubstep.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?