Oct 16, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
While watching parts of the Chargers-Broncos game on Monday night (the NLCS was on another channel, so didn’t see much of it), my overriding thought was, could both teams lose? Defeat is the only option for any team that sports this hideous design on their jerseys — the dreaded Nike contrasting-colored Flywire collar.
I’ve never been distracted by anything Nike does style-wise: even Oregon’s peyote-trip uniform array is more intriguing than garish, at least to me. But for some reason this NFL neck design being phased in by Nike this season, with more to come, makes me furious. Nike says it looks like the old-school neckrolls that some NFL players wore. To me it’s like someone put Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter in charge of uniforms. It looks like a collar on a disco shirt. Now players from a dozen teams look like Willis from Different Strokes.
In addition to the Broncos and Chargers, here are some of the teams that rock the disco collar look: Redskins, Bills, Vikings, Saints (combined record: 17-18). Any others?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings