Oct 16, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
There’s no official word yet as to whether Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro will play in the NLCS Game 3 on Wednesday in St. Louis: following an MRI today the team said his status is “unclear.”
Then he showed up at a surprise batting practice session at the aptly-named Busch Stadium (editorial comment mine), despite manager Bruce Bochy saying that he wouldn’t work out today. He hit several home runs. Scutaro’s assessment of that: “Those don’t count.”
As you know, Matt Holliday (or as I now call him, Mr. Plow) clobbered Scutaro at second on a questionable “slide” in Game 2 on Monday, resulting in many colorful internet comments. Here’s San Jose Mercury News reporter Tim Kawakami talking with Scutaro earlier today:
SCUTARO: First of all, I was just trying to make sure of one out. Slow roller and all of a sudden I just saw this train come and pretty much… I didn’t have time to pretty much do anything. Since I caught the ball he was pretty much up on me.
I don’t even know how I threw the ball to first, but I did, right?
-Q: Did Holliday talk to you, try to call you?
-SCUTARO: He tried. He tried to call, actually did call to our clubhouse, our trainers told me.
-Q: Have you talked to him?
-SCUTARO: No, I didn’t talk to him, because I went to get a MRI.
-Q: Are you upset with him?
-SCUTARO: Uhh… after I saw the replay… you know… that guy always plays hard. I think he just kind of slid a little bit late. But I guess he wasn’t trying to do that. He was coming full speed.
But to be honest, I’m just happy that nothing real bad happened…
My favorite part:
-Q: If Holliday wants to talk to you before the game…
-SCUTARO: I’d kick his a**. (Laughs.)
-Q: Will there be retaliation by your teammates?
-SCUTARO: Ask them, I don’t know. I just work here.
-Q: Does it tell you something about Holliday that he was checking in and calling you last night?
-SCUTARO: Yeah, that was kind of nice to hear from him after he tried to kick my a**. (Laughs.)
-Q: When do you kick his a**?
-SCUTARO: Whenever he wants. He’s only 6-4, 250.
Wednesday should be fun.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris