Oct 13, 2012, 12:09 AM EDT
Wow, what a game. Cardinals go down 6-0, and claw back to win it 9-7, including four in the top of the ninth? On what planet does something like this occur? Well, the Nationals have only themselves to blame, and it has nothing to do with shutting down Stephen Strasburg. They lost because they let Teddy win.
Teddy Roosevelt won the Nationals Presidents Race for the fourth straight time on Friday, and as I predicted on Thursday, that would spell their doom. Winning three, fine. But they tempted fate with No. 4, and it came back to bite them on the hinder.
Washington was doing just fine with Teddy losing (525 straight defeats before this week), having built the best record in baseball with Teddy being their comic relief sidekick. But for some reason the team had to mess with the space/time mascot continuum. Now Teddy, Abe, Jefferson and Washington will be well-rested for the first game of the 2013 season … just like Strasburg.
Side Note: Have an appointment in or near San Francisco on Sunday? Ha ha ha … good luck. The 49ers play the New York Giants at Candlestick Park at 1:20 p.m., and the Cardinals and Giants open the NLCS at AT&T Park at 5:50 p.m. And I show up at Ireland’s 32 at 10 a.m. It’s a pub/sports stadium crawl!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found