Oct 12, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
Here’s a first: Two players from the same high school football team being named Homecoming King and Queen. At least I think it’s a first.
Back in August we told you about Erin DiMeglio, who, as far as anyone has been able to determine, is the first girl quarterback in Florida prep history. Now she’s back in the news, but not for her arm.
Think you know an accomplished triple-threat athlete? Chances are they can’t match DiMeglio. On Thursday night the 17-year-old Plantation High senior was named Homecoming Queen during halftime of her team’s game with Hollywood Hills. Plantation went on to win 18-0, although DiMeglio, the third-string quarterback, didn’t play.
DiMeglio, who also plays on the South Plantation girls basketball team, tucked a flower into her wristband to make an impromptu corsage and shared a few laughs with teammate Hordley Seide, who was crowned king.
“It’s really cool to be noticed as the homecoming queen and be a football player,” DiMeglio said. “I never thought I was going to win. This is crazy…and to be with my teammate, I don’t think it’s ever happened before, a guy and a girl from the football team being king and queen.”
DiMeglio says she wants to play basketball at the University of Central Florida.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found