Oct 12, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Berg directed Battleship, for which we’ll forgive him, and played the lead role in Rise & Walk: The Dennis Byrd Story, for which we give him wild applause. But he’s also responsible for bringing Friday Night Lights to both the large and small screen, for which I think we can all agree he deserves further kudos.
But now, trouble in Dillon, Texas! Berg has written a letter to Mitt Romney, condemning the Presidential hopeful for using one of the trademark terms from Friday Night Lights in his campaign.
I created the TV show “Friday Night Lights” and came up with the phrase “Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose.”
I was not thrilled when I saw that you have plagiarized this expression to support your campaign by using it on posters, your Facebook page and as part of your stump speeches. Your politics and campaign are clearly not aligned with the themes we portrayed in our series.
The only relevent comparison that I see between your campaign and “Friday Night Lights” is in the character of Buddy Garrity — who turned his back on American car manufacturers selling imported cars from Japan.
Your use of the expression falsely and inapproriately associates “Friday Night Lights” with the Romney/Ryan campaign. Mitt, we all wish you and your family all the best. We are grateful for your support of our beloved show, but we are not in any way affiliated with you or your campaign. Please come up with your own campaign slogan.
Sincerely, Peter Berg.
Not everyone connected to Friday Night Lights is down on Romney, however. Buzz Bissinger, who wrote the book on which the series is based, has been taking a rash of grief on Twitter after he announced his support of Romney earlier this week. Bissinger’s rants aimed at a handful of his trolling followers are pretty entertaining.
And as you probably know, Berg and Bissinger are cousins.
No word from the marvelously-named star of Friday Night Lights, Kyle Chandler, on where he stands on this.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile