Woody Hayes lives! Youth football coach accused of clobbering opposing player, giving him concussion
Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
The video is linked below, and once again you’ll be asked to judge for yourself. But it looks to me like a coach who was standing on the sideline stuck out his arm and clotheslined an opposing Pee Wee Football player as he was running by. Not so fast, Jimmy!
According to the report by police, Nathan Harris was arrested for investigation of felony child abuse after a 13-year-old player was knocked down, receiving a concussion during a game in Payson, Utah, which is about 60 miles from Salt Lake City. One parent said that the stands “erupted” after the incident, and that angry fans swarmed the field.
The video was shot from the opposite side of the field and is by no means conclusive, but it doesn’t look like the coach went out of his way to avoid the player. Anyway, here’s the video.
No charges have been filed against the coach, as authorities are still investigating the incident.
You have to wonder what goes through the minds of coaches who get involved in incidents like this. Remember the Sal Alosi incident? The Jets coach tripped a Miami Dolphins player and was suspended, but at least that was in the NFL. Getting so involved that you flatten a kid would be hilarious if it wasn’t so surreal and sad. If in fact he did that.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found