Oct 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EST
The Great Pumpkin lives, if you believe! You may know Half Moon Bay, Calif., as home of the Mavericks Surf Championship, but to me it’s the Land of Giant Pumpkins. Each year at this bucolic town’s Pumpkin Festival, the giant gourds are rolled out in glorious competition … and the 2012 winner weighed in at an astounding 1,775 pounds, which is more than Mark Mangino and Charlie Weis combined, and also a California record.
Thad Starr from Pleasant Hill, Ore., poses with his kids Danika, center, and Derek, left, after winning the weigh-off. His prize? A cool $10,650, or $6 per pound.
Being that this is the Northern California Bay Area, the pumpkin will be hollowed out and rented for $1,200 per month.
Fun fact: The Pumpkin Festival Grand Marshall this year was the 49ers’ Steve Young.
Then, this paragraph happened:
The morning’s festivities also included a contest for the most beautiful pumpkin — chosen by the audience — a perfectly round, orange, 380-pound specimen from Portola Valley.
Grower Eric Carlson said that his beauty’s name was “Eye Candy.”
Just my opinion, but Eric Carlson should be closely watched.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found