Oct 10, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
His name is Rives “Rick” Grogan Jr., and his game is anti-abortion protesting. Grogan was tackled by cops and arrested for running onto the field with a Mitt Romney sign at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati on Tuesday during the NLDS — but this was by no means the first time he’s been in handcuffs. And at least one of those incidents involved his 10-year-old son.
Grogan, 47, is a minister at the New Beginnings Christian Fellowship in Los Angeles, according to reports by the Associated Press. When it comes to anti-abortion protests, he’s been quite the busy bee, having had several encounters with police over the past three years.
In March of 2011 he was detained outside the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. while trying to disrupt a press conference. Joining him in the protest was his son, Rives III, who is now 11 years old, so probably 10 when these photos were taken. Both were carrying anti-abortion signs and screaming slogans at passersby.
Wait … he takes his kid to a boring Capitol Hill press conference, but leaves him at home when he protests at a baseball playoff game? If I were that lad I’d be holding a sign at the dinner table reading “What a ripoff”.
Grogan also showed up at a Chick-fil-A protest in Hollywood this past August to argue with gay marriage supporters. And he disrupted a Senate speech by John McCain this past June, shouting an anti-abortion message from the Senate gallery.
During his baseball dash on Tuesday, Grogan toted a sign which touted Mitt Romney on one side, and the words “Abortion is Sin” on the other. He was quickly tackled by police and is now charged with trespassing and resisting arrest. Grogan will appear today in Hamilton County court on the two charges.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles