Oct 9, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
After two unsuccessful in-vitro fertilization procedures, a Houston couple is hoping that Barry Sanders can help them have a baby. Wait, what?
Todd Nelkin, 45, is selling his 1999 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch Autograph card with Walter Payton and Barry Sanders’ signatures to help pay for the $20,000 IVF treatment. The card is graded a Gem Mint 10 by Beckett Grading Services — the only card in that condition among the 29 Payton/Sanders signed cards that Beckett Grading Services has seen.
“I know this is going to sound a little sappy,” Todd said, “but this could be the only card in existence that is responsible for a human life. Hopefully, someone will be on this planet because of that card. I think this adds a nice element to the history of that card.”
Yep, the Nelkins are pretty big sports fans — they’re Houston Rockets season ticket holders, and were engaged and eventually married at the Rockets’ Toyota Center.
I have a good feeling about this, and declare this an opportunity to offer baby name suggestions. Walter? Barry? My choice, if a boy: Donruss. If a girl: Elite.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found