Oct 9, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner has a simple plan: climb into a space capsule that’s attached to a helium balloon, soar 23 miles above the surface of the Earth and then jump out. His hurtling body should break the sound barrier, which would make him the first to reach supersonic speed in free fall. Godspeed, you magnificent insane person.
But that’s all on hold right now, as Baumgartner’s mission was aborted earlier today due to high wind gusts at the launch sire in Roswell, N.M. The team is unsure when it will be rescheduled (it could be as early as Wednesday).
If you’d like to see photos of what it looks like for a man in a spacesuit to jump from a capsule several miles above the Earth, here you go: Baumgartner did it from 19.5 miles up back in March of this year. That was a test run for this record attempt.
Baumgartner is trying to break three records, all set by former Air Force test pilot Joseph Kittinger in 1960: the first to reach supersonic speed in free fall (current record: 614 mph), the highest altitude jump (current record: 102,800 feet) and the longest free fall time (current record: 4 minutes, 36 seconds). Kittinger, by the way, is now part of Baumgartner’s mission control team.
As a rule, I never engage in any sport that involves a “mission control team.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Father of the year catches foul ball