Oct 8, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
First of all, yes, I’m using a photo of Lindsey Vonn with Tim Tebow at the ESPYs. Got a problem with that? Second, I see no reason why Lindsey Vonn shouldn’t be allowed to compete against men — Danica Patrick does it, and Vonn crashes a lot less than she does.
Vonn, a four-time World Cup champion, has asked the International Ski Federation if she can enter a men’s World Cup downhill race on Nov. 24 in Lake Louise, Alberta.
If she is allowed to compete there, she’ll miss the women’s slalom and giant slalom in Aspen, Colo., being held at the same time. The Alpine Board (there’s an Alpine Board?) will consider the matter at the FIS Autumn Meetings in Zurich this week.
It’s complicated because no racer is supposed to ski on a race course a week prior to his or her own competition. If Lindsey Vonn could train and compete with the men in November, she would have a huge advantage on her rivals the following week during the women’s races on the same course,” Atle Skaardal, the director of the women’s World Cup said.
Vonn says in the letter that she wants to do this to improve the profile of women’s skiing. My take? After her recent divorce, she just wants to go out on the slopes and beat some men.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found