Oct 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Victory today for all those young boys who have been denied the right to try out for their school basketball teams because of their pink Mohawks. Trevor Foster, 11, of Columbus, Ind., will get to try out for the school team after all, after the principal at Clifty Creek Elementary School reversed her no-pink Mohawk policy.
Trevor and his older brother had both shaved their heads in Mohawk formation and dyed them pink, with an added pink ribbon on the side, in honor of their mom, who has breast cancer. But Trevor was stopped on his way into school one morning by his principal, Cynthia Frost, and told he wouldn’t be able to attend basketball tryouts until he got rid of the Mohawk.
So Trevor’s dad, Tamage Foster, put his son’s story on Facebook — and a small Internet uprising ensued. This is, after all, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and that’s bad timing for Principal Frost. Bowing to the bad publicity, she apparently has reversed her no-Mohawk stance.
Both father and son met with Frost this morning. Not only did she tell them Trevor could try out for the team, they said, but she proposed he be one of the leaders of a new student council geared toward raising funds for breast cancer research.
Frost even donned pink with her suit today, Trevor said, and “told me it was just for me.”
But he still isn’t convinced.
“She apologized but it didn’t help much,” he said. “I’m still disappointed that she said what she said. It was just wrong to say that.”
It wasn’t the first time Trevor had a problem with Frost when it came to pink attire. Last year, Trevor was forced to turn his pink shirt inside out and surrender his “I Love Boobies” bracelet to his teacher, Trevor’s father said.
Trevor’s being a little hard on the principal, methinks. Looks like she’s trying to make amends.
And after all this, you’d better make the team, kid.
Photo: Tamage Foster.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: The Office's Baumgartner shows off his golf game
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview