Oct 4, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
You’ve come to know this blog as your go-to source for all kickball news, and rightfully so. Remember last year when we brought you the pomp and majesty of the 15th Annual World Kickball Championships? Well it’s back again in 2012, goofier and bouncier than ever.
The 2012 World Kickball Championship Weekend Founders Cup tournament and Kickball Games begin Friday and last through Sunday in Las Vegas, featuring more than 500 players.
Official kickball rules:
- Regulation kickball field is a square with equal sides of 60 feet, or about 20 paces, with a base at each corner. The distance from home plate to second base and from first base to third base is 84 feet 10 1/4 inches. Pitching strip is in the center of the diamond, 42 feet 5 1/8 inches or about 14 paces from home plate.
- There is a pitching mound.
- The kicking box is a rectangle with the front of the box aligned with the front of home plate and the back of the box aligned with the sideline cones behind home plate. The kicker is not required to start in the kicking box, however the kick must occur within the kicking box (see Rule 9.02b).
- The strike zone is a three-dimensional irregular pentagon based on the shape of home plate and is one foot in height.
- All kicks must be made by foot or leg, below the knee (see Rule 13.02e). Any ball touched by the foot or leg below the knee is a kick.
- Three strikes or four fouls is an out.
- You are also out on any kicked ball (fair or foul) that is caught by a fielder; being forced at a base; being touched by the ball at any time while not on base while the ball is in play.
My favorite team names this year:
The 1% (North Hollywood, Calif.)
The Andy Dufresnes (Albuquerque, NM)
Liver Let Die (Irvine, Calif.)
Your Mom (Denver, MO)
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found