Oct 4, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Charlie Weis completely understands if opposing teams’ school newspapers slam his Kansas football team for its 1-3 start. Likewise city newspapers — he expects that. But why, oh why, asks Weis, does his own University Daily Kansan say mean, hurtful things?
Weis took to Twitter to vent his frustration at a recent article in the Daily Kansan which took him and his team to task. The paper also ran with this pretty inspired cover, showing a Jayhawk clambering up a goalpost to escape a muscle-bound Kansas State Wildcat. #Awesome.
Weis was not amused.
Team slammed by our own school newspaper. Amazing! No problem with opponents paper or local media. You deserve what you get! But, not home!
I personally could care less. You are what are. On the other hand, if I don’t support the players good or bad, who will??
First of all, the phrase you’re groping for, Charlie, is “couldn’t care less”, as “could care less” is the opposite of what you’re trying to say. Most journalism students on the Kansas campus could tell you that.
Also, the school newspaper is not your PR department. The newspaper staff at Kansas is, hopefully, learning how to approach stories with a critical and discerning eye for the truth — the world has enough fawning apologists and rah-rah sycophants masquerading as journalists, thank you very much. Leave blind allegiance to the student cheering section where it belongs.
But still, I have a way that Charlie can fix all this. Win more games.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte