Oct 3, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
It happened during a Ukrainian League soccer match between Chornomorets Odessa and Metalist Kharkiv on Saturday, where passion (and we’re guessing alcohol) overtook discretion for one fan, who rushed the field and tried to strangle one of the referees.
He was quickly tackled by police and security personnel, and led to the soccer Gulag.
The referee and his assistant went to the technical area to talk to Chernomorets coach Roman Grigorchuk, who was upset by the award of a corner against his side.
The assailant then sprinted onto the pitch and grabbed the linesman round the neck.
Stewards and riot police quickly wrestled the man to the floor, but he continued to struggle violently as he was led off the pitch.
They have replacement refs in European soccer?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Red Wings score twice in 31 seconds
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong