Oct 3, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Oakland Athletics are AL West champs … is it me, or have the Texas Rangers lost a lot of important games the past few seasons? Well, it least they’re in important games.
Anyway, it’s the bottom of the eighth at the O.Co Coliseum, and the A’s had just taken a 12-5 lead, all but guaranteeing that Texas would be relegated to wild card status. A’s closer Grant Balfour had been warming up for an entire inning, but when his team went up by 7, one of the coaches made a call to the bullpen, and Jim Miller got up to take some warmup tosses.
According to Bay Area Comcast announcers Ray Fosse and Glen Kuiper, Balfour then went to the bullpen phone and placed a call to the dugout, presumably stating that no way was he not pitching the ninth. And sure enough, Miller sat down.
Can you hear me now?
Balfour set the side down in order, and Balfour Rage ensued.
Amazingly, the A’s — 13 games out of first on June 30 — could be the AL’s No. 1 seed in the playoffs. Even though today marked the first time this season they’ve been in first place. Oakland needs the Yankees to lose to the Red Sox tonight to claim the No. 1 seed, where they would open on the road against the wild-card winner Oct. 7 and 8. The games in Oakland would be Oct. 10, 11 and 12. If the Yankees win tonight, Oakland will be the No. 2 seed.
Ha. Jonny Gomes knows how to celebrate.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found