Oct 3, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
First let’s say we’re glad the injuries are minor in nature: scrapes to his knees and hips, according to this report. He’ll be fine, girls: Bobby Valentine will attend the dance tonight. Valentine, who enjoys his bike with a Alberto Contador-level passion, was pedaling to the ballpark on Tuesday when he received a text from Dustin Pedroia.
The public service announcements all warn us not to text and cycle, but Valentine did it anyway … he was reading Pedroia’s text when:
On the wet, slippery path, Valentine was reading a text on his phone from Dustin Pedroia, the Red Sox second baseman, and riding his bicycle. When he looked up, he had to swerve to avoid the umbrellas of two French tourists walking in front of him. The bike skidded, and he lost his balance and went careening head over pedals down the side of the hill by the road.
“I shouldn’t have been reading a text while I was riding, ” he said. “That’s the wrong thing to do. But at least I was wearing my helmet.”
The Red Sox season long ago transitioned from drama to farce, with Valentine playing the role of Inspector Clouseau. so this incident fits right in.
Here’s exclusive footage of Valentine’s accident right here:
BV’s Big Adventure.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found